1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PeaCOCK!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chickenmum, Jan 22, 2009.

1. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    We might be getting peacocks! Well, peacock and peahens, or something. The zoo had too many and they are giving them away and if they don't get homes for them they are going to uthenize(however that's spelled) them. Any tips on peafowl keeping, making sure they have room, feeding, do's and don't's?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What zoo??!!!

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Yeah what zoo is giving them away, Man If I am close I will be there!

4. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    It might be the Cincinnati zoo. Ohio.

5. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Gotta keep them in a cage for at least 60 days. While in the cage we feed ours Finisher feed, cracked corn and scratch grains. After about 60 days they stay on the farm and wait to be fed. We have some great trees for them to roost in. If you are in the country, which by the way is the only place to have Peafowl, I am sure that they will thrive and give you plenty of babies. Which by the way is once a year in the spring. After they are out of the pen they love to get scratch grains and cracked corn. Anything else they eat they find on their own! Oh, and the other thing... Wow are they loud! When they scream you will know it and so will anyone within a mile! I pray that you can save them!
    [​IMG]
    Chris

6. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    I can't give you any tips since I know zilch about them, but how cool!!! I always thought it would be awesome to have some!! You're a lucky duck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by