Peacocks and chickens, can they be cooped together?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hvnsnt3388, Feb 9, 2011.

1. hvnsnt3388

hvnsnt3388 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    I just read on the pheasant site that pheasants and chickens should not be kept together because of disease transfer. Is this true for peacocks also? Do they also need to be kept at least 100 feet away from each other and all cross contamination protocol when feeding and handling?????

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    This is generally true. Now I have done it with a pair that was raised with chickens and there was no problem. When I bought an adult hen that had never been exposed to chickens, however, she got very ill within the first month and, without my intervention, she would have died. So, it's advisable to keep them penned separately.

Nathan

3. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    Yes you want to keep your peafowl separate from your chickens because of the possibility of disease transfer -- the chickens are resistant to and may be carriers of many disease organisms that peafowl are susceptible to.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    How does that work if you free range everybody? Do they tend to stay away from each other when they're out roaming?

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    All my bird free range togeather and i have no health problems, could see problems cropping up if they were forced to stay in a close confined area, my bird have pretty much unlimited range here and good ol mother nature helps keep that clean with rain and sunshine.

Silly peas eat just about anything, even when they have the good stuff they can be seen eating dirty shavings,poo and other untasty stuff that even a chicken would not eat [​IMG] so i make sure i keep them on a good worming program.
    [​IMG]

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Wow, your birds look great all mixed in together like that! Thanks for the info.

I would LOVE some peafowl and have just recently found a possible supply of local hatching eggs but I'm going to spend a while reading up on the birds and what all care and living conditions they require before I even think any more of getting hold of some eggs.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:It's more of a precaution more than anything else. If the chickens are not carriers of diseases lethal to peafowl and the premises was not infected already, then it is generally pretty safe. That is why there are always responses that report no problems at all. Not every single chicken is a lethal peafowl bomb waiting to go off. But there's still the possibility of bringing home a chicken that IS infected/a carrier..

A regular deworming program will be a reasonably effective preventative for some diseases like blackhead(parasitic worms part of the host cycle).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by