peacomb sexing?

BroosterSpringsteen

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
NW North Carolina
I have 4 week old chicks that I'm just not sure about. The first set are Blue Ameracaunas.
#1 is the definite roo. Knew it within a week, mostly because he feathered SO much slower.

By comparison, all the others feathered way faster, and have thinner combs, but some of the combs are fairly pink. Note these chick's comb's width compared to #1 roo
Here are a couple more of the blue chicks

And finally, my one and only buckeye. Buckeye's are built so differently from Ameracaunas, and I have nothing to compare it to, or to go by.

Thoughts?

Nothing is screaming roo with the Buckeye yet. The boys grow fast and big, making the girls look quite dwarfed. You will begin to see deeper red coming into the wings and saddles around 10 to 12 weeks. Combs will get fleshy and redder.

But right now, nothing is indicating roo...but it is early. I couldn't tell for sure until about 8 to 10 weeks.

Lady of McCamley

Do you have any pics of when the buckeye was a fluffy chick? They can be sexed as chicks. I would need a sideshot, however.

Actually, any chick sexing on Buckeyes is debated. Some believe there could be some wing sexing possible (more oval indicates female), but the ABA doesn't support that.

I will post a photo of my young chicks below. The one stretching tall was a rooster, as was another one which you won't be able to see in the photo well.

2 roo's to the left, females center and right

The roo again forefront, and I think that was the second roo in back too.

Back
Top Bottom