Peacomb Sexing

Kathrynmodra

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I have 6 tailed araucana chicks (4.5 weeks old). I had resolved myself to having to wait probably 10-15 weeks to sex them, until I stumbled across a post about peacombs. Is it true that if there are 3 raised lumps its a cockeral and if there is only one prominent one its a pullet?

Reading this gives me some hope, my husband keeps joking (I hope!) that I have a box full of roosters!

Chick 1 - I get a Roo feeling about this one, gets into a few fights with other chicks.

Chick 2 -

Chick 3 - My feeling is this one is a girl. She is the first to feather out a crest on her head, and when there are any fighting she lays down in front of them. Very submissive and gentle.

Chick 4 - I am certain this one is a rooster. Highly aggressive. Picks fights and attacks other chicks resulting in him having a big mouthful of feathers. I've had to remove him on a number of occasions.

Chick 5 - This is the prettiest of them all. It has a beautiful ring around its eye that looks like eyeliner. I'm worried its a roo, as the prettiest chicken usually means a roo, right???

Chick 6 - The teeny tiny runt. She is the smallest of them all, ultra sweet and quiet. She is about half the size of the others. Love her though, happy to be held and always falls asleep on me.

Anyone with more experience than me willing to have a go?

I raised some Ameraucana chicks for a breeder, was able to "sex" by the combs...You are correct about the pea comb; 3 rows = cockerel & one pronounced = pullet. Also noticed the pullets develope the feathers on their center & flank, neck, crop while cockerels got stubbys. Tail feather differ too; pullets straight while cockerels curved. From the pictures sad to say you got 2 pullets (3, 6) the rest look like cockerels (#2 for sure), maybe easier to judge at 6wks. Repost pixs at 6wks...

:( Thats what I thought too. I'll keep my fingers crossed though and hope for the best. Thanks for your help, Ill repost at 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom