Peafowl and Guineas

I just had to deal with this myself. Have a pair of peacocks and a pair of guineas in a pen together. The male guinea beat the crap out of the male peacock( he lost a eye). I had to turn the guineas out. They did fine until the guinea hen started laying. That's when he got highly aggressive. Also he even had the two hens cornered away from the male peacock. Just my recent experience.

A couple weeks ago I moved 2 guinea cocks and 1 guinea hen in with my 2 peacocks and 1 peahen. The guineas were a bit nervous at first and didn't like the peas, but they got used to them after a couple days. Everybody gets along fine now, the guinea hen is laying eggs (Just set some eggs from her yesterday) and the two guinea cocks are getting a bit more aggressive with each other, but they don't bother the peacocks. The peacocks have been chasing each other a bit, but they also don't seem to bother the guinea cocks.

The main thing I would say is to watch out for Blackhead, because I was told guineas are possible carriers and could give it to the peas. My peas are housed in a pen right next to my chicken run, so it didn't seem to be a problem when I introduced the guineas directly into their pen.

Back
Top Bottom