Peafowl and the cold.

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
The question that gets asked alot during this time of year is whether or not peas need any special accommodation during the winter. Most people say they don't but I would very much say it depends. IF you live in an area that's very wet in the winter they will definitely benefit from shelter and even possibly heat. I live in WI where we get down into the negative 35-40 range at times during the winter at which point heating is necessary even for india blues. I have also noticed that mutation birds are much more susceptible to freezing to death than regular IB birds. Moral of the story if you're in the northern states it's probably worth going the extra mile for your birds.

Dealing with frostbite.

Frostbite can happen in either blues or greens so it is important to watch out for it. If you see a bird walking stiffly like it has a foot injury catch it immediately and check its feet. If its toes are completely stiff take it inside and run room temperature to slightly cool water over its feet making sure to massage them, This will get circulation going again and they should be able to curl again after maybe ten minutes of this. Put the bird into a warm location for a few days to allow the feet to heal.

Also, remember that when they get too cold on the roost they will go to the ground. If they go to cold sand or bare dirt they will get frostbite even worse as the ground's moisture comes up and the combination of the moisture and cold makes the FB even worse. So be sure to have bedding on the floor of your coop to provide an insulator from the cold. If you are considering using heated roosts beware of what can happen when they overheat.
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG

Back
Top Bottom