Peafowl Are Awesome !! Or Are They???????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by coffeepheasant, Jun 25, 2011.

1. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Last year i went to a bird auction and saw a pair of one yr old peafowl, [​IMG] i had to buy them !!!!! [​IMG] so i did. i put them into a large aviary and i kept them there for 8 weeks. every day i would feed them peanuts until they would eat out my hand. Eventually i let out the female, for a day. then she went back in i was sooooo happy [​IMG]. Three days later i let them both out, they stayed around for four days roosting on the barn, then on the fifth day they had disappeared [​IMG] i looked for them and they decided to live on the pub roof 1 mile away !!!!! i hoped that they would stay around [​IMG] but then they never came back. This seriously put me off peafowl, [​IMG] but i really really want them back !!!!!!!!!! so can someone please help me i really want some wat did i do wrong???? were they too old??? did i not keep them in long enough?? do i need more then 2 ?? Also is there a few to train them to roost in a shed at night ????? Any help would be useful, I NEED SOME ADVISE [​IMG]

2. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i would of kept them in for a couple of more weeks before letting them out

3. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    There is quite a few people have posted that if you have them from the time they are chicks and not bring grown birds to your house they will stay.

My first birds that got loose on me after I had them for a couple months , even though they had been free range they eventually came back to the pen where I had the female penned up.[​IMG]

4. JulieFS

JulieFS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Freeport, Michigan
    I built mine a HUGE enclosure with a roof on it...wasn't too expensive. Then they're safe. Mine were not handled at all before I got them. The male is 2 years old and the female is 4. I got them to eat out of my hand in only a few weeks. Now they run to the side of the enclosure when I walk outside. I wouldn't want to let them free range bc they usually take off in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by