Peafowl eggs!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Wolf-Kim, May 31, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Is 6 peafowl eggs manageable for a Black Sexlink hen? They are much larger than I imagined the eggs really being, I just wanted to make sure I didn't give her too many.

-Kim

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I would trust her with maybe 4. Our peahens only set on about 8 eggs, do you have bator space or another broody?

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    You have a Black Sex Link that went broody???? I have Black Sex Links and it was my understanding they rarely if ever went broody? If they do....cool. So far I've had a Buff Orp and an EE go broody but no sign from my Black Sexies.

4. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i was given a peacock egg the other day..and it is under one of my broody black sex links...she is doing a great job..she is a huge chicken i would trust her with 4 at most

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    If she has a decent box around her so the won't "get away" when she squirms around, she can handle all 6. I have a BANTAM buff laced polish that is currently completely covering 5 pea eggs.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I only have the stupid LG bators, I surely wouldn't trust them with peafowl eggs. LOL. I have enough trouble with chicken eggs, haha.

She sits on them and I cannot even get a glimpse of any eggs when I try looking at her from different angles. All the way around, not the least little peep at the eggs. Unfortunately, she is my only broody right now.

Yes, she is Black Sexlink. Strange, huh? I told her if she stays broody we won't eat her after she quits laying, which she's do to stop this year. She has already laid her first wind-egg. Nothing like a little bit of encouragement, huh? LOL

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by