peafowl help needed

iky114p

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2016
Hi Need some advice i live in the UK but was in pakistan last year where we have 14 peafowl in total including 5 peahens which laid a total of 103 eggs last year but no peahen went broody and all the eggs went bad so this year after looking up on byc i got 1 incubator and 1 hatcher made things were going good have hatched 23 peachicks so far out of about 41 eggs theres anothere 27 eggs in the incubator and the peahens are still laying but it is so hot in pakistan this time of year 122 degrees farenheit i lost one egg laying peahen yesterday in the morning she was fine around 2pm she was sitting huddled up i assumed she was going to lay an egg around 5pm found her dead sat in the same place feel so sad have lost 4 peachicks aswel its too hot in the wooden brooders can i put the peachicks in an outside coop on the ground after 3-4 weeks and how can i keep the peafowl cool in general any advice on what give them in this intense heat any advice would be highly appreciated thankyou so so so much

your hen that died might have been egg bound or sick, if you can get more air circulation that will help cool things down a bit, and always have fresh water available

Midnightman great point brother.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Thankyou so much midnightman14 the air circulation is good not that theres much air its 50°c and not even a slight breeze cant keep the chicks in the brooder for much longer its like an oven in there need to shift them outside but afraid putting them on ground at 3-4 weeks old might do more damage any advice on the floor for them if i shift them outside

If it is at all possible to keep them off the ground I would do that but keeping them from overheating is obviously a more immediate concern. If you aren't feeding medicated feed I would start.

Thanks for the reply midnightman keeping them off the ground is going to be difficult as it so hot in the brooders any other suggestions in regards to this also unfortunately theres no medicated feed available where i am its a very rural area any other suggestions in regards to the medicated feed

Thanks for the reply midnightman keeping them off the ground is going to be difficult as it so hot in the brooders any other suggestions in regards to this also unfortunately theres no medicated feed available where i am its a very rural area any other suggestions in regards to the medicated feed
If you can find Corid powder, check online or ebay if it isn't available locally. Corid is Amprolium and you can give them a Preventative dose in their water, this will make up for the lack of medicated feed.

Back
Top Bottom