1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl Photos Dec. 3, 2011

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I spent a lot of time with the peafowl today watching them and feeding them bread. I took Peep into the adult peafowl pen but Ice jumped on him and he freaked out so I still don't think I can keep him in the larger pen. At least he gets along with the three white peachicks in his pen. I let Peep out of the pen because he is so good about staying close to me. I tried to get him to walk out back with me but he wanted to stay near the pens. I called his name and he ran past me and flew 30 feet away from me and landed. Then he ran back to me. I was glad he got to stretch a little. We walked around the big peafowl pen and the adults curiously watched Peep. I wonder if they are jealous of him being allowed to be let out of his pen every now and then to explore.
    [​IMG]

I petted Peep a lot today too. Normally I don't get to spend much time with him anymore since all my birds are at my Grandma's and I visit them after school to feed them and then I go home. I always try to pet him a little to keep him tame. He is so sweet!
    [​IMG]

Peep also displayed for me when I let him into the adult peafowl pen but when Damsel my pied peahen walked up he stopped.
    [​IMG]

The three white peachicks that share a pen with Peep are doing great. One of the males is really outgoing and friendly. I think that is the male I will keep and the other male my dad's friend who got the white peachicks for me is going to get the other white male. The third white is a peahen and she will probably be Peep's mate. Today I noticed the white peachicks all cuddled up on the ground so I had to take their picture!
    [​IMG]

"How come my foot isn't white?"
    [​IMG]

Alto my adult peacock was displaying a bunch today probably because the weather was nice. It wasn't so freezing today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His neck feathers have almost fully grown back from where the raccoon bit him.
    [​IMG]

Damsel and Alto groomed each other.
    [​IMG]

Damsel is scratching around in some leaves looking for food.
    [​IMG]

Ice likes to hang out next to the other pen with Peep and the three white peachicks most of the time. In this photo Ice is preening and her three peachicks are in front of her. From left to right: white, dark pied, pied. All of Ice's peachicks are peahens.
    [​IMG]

Ice's pretty white peachick. I might name this one Snow White.
    [​IMG]

Here is Ice's dark pied lying on a little log.
    [​IMG]

The dark pied and the pied peachick are really close. The white peachick likes to be close to Ice but the dark pied and the pied like to go off on their own and hang out.
    [​IMG]

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    !WOW!!
    beautful!!!!
    i want pea fowl but i feel they would just be missrable here in mudd and snow [​IMG]

3. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Peafowl can be fine in the snow. It doesn't snow here but I have seen photos from other members of peafowl in the snow and I once saw a picture of a peacock covered in Ice. Peafowl can be very hardy. I don't know how they are with mud...With regular peafowl you might be fine but with white peafowl they might get nasty looking.

4. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Very Nice Pics Minx,
    So very jealous of your nice weather!!!! We had a little storm pass thru early this am. You still have green leaves on your trees?!*& I am worried about my free ranging peas that roost in a big cottonwood tonight.... Supposed to get to about 10°.

Peep is really getting his blue on. The white are gorgeous-love 'em. I want some-don't have 'em, yet... Hopin some of my pied get me some!

Evelle, I saw where you mentioned a very muddy area if you were to get peas. Peas actually love water and love to wade and probably dont mind mud like humans. You shouldnt let your ideas about mud keep you from getting some....

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    here we have 2 months of mud then 5 months of snow then 2 more months of mud then the rest is nice [​IMG] dont thier tails kinda drag the ground??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Only the males grow long trains..... From early spring and thru breeding season.
    The trains are dropped after breeding season, often within a couple of weeks or so, then they are slowly regrown thru the late, late late fall and winter. The male is proud of his train and will try to keep it from dragging on the ground, too much.
    The wind will break train feathers where I am, because it is quite dry here.....

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Beautiful pics -- thank you so much for sharing them!

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    You have great photography skills! i like your white peachicks, tell me how can you tell thier sexes because i have 3 from this year and i really cant tell well enough untill they are yearlings. [​IMG]

9. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    With the whites since they are all the same age, you can tell by size. The two males are larger than the female. They have slightly bigger feet, and they definitely have a bigger head. It is hard to describe the peahen's head...It is smaller and just seems more pretty. Also the males are supposed to start getting some train feathers that are a little frilly looking but I haven't payed much attention to that. I also noticed the two males play fighting and the peahen just stood and watched so they have been giving me many clues about what sex they are.[​IMG] Both males and females display so that doesn't really help but I wish it did.

10. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Wow! Alto has gotten allot of eye-feathers. I rember looking at one your pictures of him a while back, and he only had one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by