Peafowl Shipping Boxes

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I am getting ready to start shipping this years chicks this fall and looking for shipping containers. I found Horizon offers a lot of different sizes and with so many to choose from I am confused.

http://www.hm-e.net/our-boxes.html

I was quite pleased to find that the boxes are already postage paid! I am wanting to buy a good amount of the right ones, buying small quantities does not make sense when I have so many birds to sell.

So those of you who do shipping, what size do you recommend?

Doh! I had a Homer Simpson moment. The prepaid shipping is to get the boxes to me.
he.gif
Here I thought it was like the 'If it fits, it ships' postage deal, I should have know better.

Oh, well. Still looking for what sizes you use for what size birds.

What birds will you be selling?

-Kathy

Mostly this years hatch, so around four month old chicks.  I also have a couple of my yearlings sold as well.  I might sell a few more of my yearlings if my breeding plans change.

Got any black shoulder hens? 2014 or 2015?

-Kathy

I have shipped two juvenile peafowl in one of the four bird boxes, but for the yearlings and older birds you should get a swan box. There is an eight bird box if I remember correctly but I have not used that box before. I mainly use the two bird, four bird, and swan boxes for all of my shipping needs. Another thing, you could get a postal scale and use Click-N-Ship for 30% savings on shipping. Since peafowl are expensive to ship whatever savings you can get for your customers is good.

Got any black shoulder hens? 2014 or 2015?

-Kathy
In 2014 hatch I only saved back two IBBS hens that I am pretty sure are White Eye.

In 2015 I have LOTS to chose from, Spaulding (low %) Purple BS, Purple BS, IB BS, and IBBSWE.

My Purple pen is headed up by a low percentage Spaulding Purple BS over low% Spaulding Purple BS, both Deerman stock, and an IBBS, and three Cameo hens. I have a lot of chicks from that pen.

My IB Pied WE, split BS and Cameo cock over IBSP, Pied with unknown splits, Cameo SP, and Cameo Pied WE hens. I will have to look closer for BS from that hen, but there is at least one or two there.

And My rock star Rocky is an IBBSWE split SP over three IBWE hens, one of which I don't know a lot about. Mucho variances there!

ETA:
And my Elvis is an IBBS split Cameo over Cameo hens, we have Cameo Black Shoulders too!

Last edited:
I have shipped two juvenile peafowl in one of the four bird boxes, but for the yearlings and older birds you should get a swan box. There is an eight bird box if I remember correctly but I have not used that box before. I mainly use the two bird, four bird, and swan boxes for all of my shipping needs. Another thing, you could get a postal scale and use Click-N-Ship for 30% savings on shipping. Since peafowl are expensive to ship whatever savings you can get for your customers is good.

Can I use Click-N-Ship and take the birds to the PO? I live ou in the sticks and wouldn't want them to ride around all day in the jeep.

Back
Top Bottom