1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl showed up... And stayed

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by allison98, Oct 10, 2015.

1. allison98

allison98 New Egg

Oct 10, 2015
    About 4 months ago, a peacock/hen walked out of the woods and decided to become a part of our family. He stays mostly on our property, but does go visit the neighbors. His diet is mostly comprised of seeds, bugs, and whatever they naturally eat. We live in Pennsylvania and I'm worried about how well he'll do in the winter since nothing grows. We have 3 horses and a Guinea fowl (who also popped out of the woods 2 years ago) and the Guinea does well in the winter, he roosts in our run-in shed, eats the spilled horse grain, picks through the hay, and drinks the horse's water from our tank. The peafowl hasn't shown an interest in anything but the hay to my knowledge, though he runs around with the Guinea.
    We previously had chickens and have some leftover food from them. Should I try to start the peafowl on it? He's free-range and feral, doesn't allow us closer than 10 feet away and runs if something unexpected happens. Is there a way to gain his trust? We don't know much about these birds. No one's claimed them and they seem to be very happy together. The peafowl roosts in different trees every night, so I'm not sure how well he'll do in the winter and if he'll stay with the Guinea.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to lose this beautiful surprise! His/her name is Gerald/Geraldine and we and the neighbors are very happy to have this!
    Also, could anyone tell the gender and approximate age? One of our neighbors said it's a female since the males have a tail that drags, but I'm thinking it's a young male.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Congratulations on your new arrival Gerald! [​IMG]

He is a boy and he's at least 3 years old - the boys shed their train feathers every year, and he has already molted them.
    Also, he's an Indian Blue Black Shoulder, very pretty fella!

3. allison98

allison98 New Egg

Oct 10, 2015
    Thank you!

4. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    He looks more like a coming two.

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Oops, you're right @q8peafowl , I didn't look at that back view before! [​IMG]

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm thinking Spalding. Look at the crest, neck color and shape of the neck feathers, and the face, it would also explain why the wing looks the way it does. Even though if this peacock molted it could explain why it looks like a tight crest but I think I see a yellow Loral.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Blue Spalding 25% ... for sure ! go on two years old.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @allison98 , congrats, he's handsome!

-Kathy

9. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    X 2!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. denduma

denduma New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    I live in Michigan and have had two living in the woods behind our house. I've been told that they can survive the winter. I've been hearing alot of stories of wild peacocks lately and it makes me wonder what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by