Peafowl TajMahal **NEW PICS 2/26

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arlee453, Jan 28, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As some of you may remember, I've posted several times about my husband's peafowl wishes. He's got this buddy who is willing to GIVE him a breeding pair of peacocks. So, OK, I don't mind a few more birds and hey, it's ALMOST like chickens, and maybe it's something we can do together... so I say OK.

Now, we have to HOUSE them somewhere. After posting here and reading up on housing, it looks like we need a shelter for them at least 8' square to give them room to nest AND roost AND to jump on and off a roost without damaging their plumage.

We decided to partition off part of the dog lot to make a space for them. They will have a run about 20x30. And I'm building a 10x8 shelter. I've taken pics and will post when my cam battery is charged back up and I can pull off the pics...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the framing so far. It's 10' X 8'. Best of all, I haven't had to cut a piece of wood yet!

There will be an opening framed in on the front side of the shelter (it faces South for extra warmth in the winter) I was thinking of having a 2ft wall on one side, then a 4ft opening, then a 4ft wall on the other. My thinking is that the roosts can go behind the 4ft wall, to give them max protection from the elements. Any thoughts on that?

The run will have netting over it with PVC pipe, similar to what I did with my chicken run:

[​IMG]

Any comments/suggestions are welcome...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nice! [​IMG]

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking good arlee!!! [​IMG]

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    thanks guys... I feel loved now

[​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Very neat.... !!!

In your second pic - what are those metal poles curving over the top - did you guys make those or are they plumbing pipes or something - I totally need those!

7. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They are PVC drain pipes 3/4" Got them at Lowes and connected them 3 together to make a 30' span.

For the peafowl, I'm going to use 3/4 grey electrical conduit - same sort of stuff, but a bit cheaper and don't need connectors - they are flanged on the end and fit one into the other.

For detailed info on how I made the covered run for the chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20020

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Man --your quick! way to get to task! Very nice!

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Looks good, can't wait to see the birds when you get them.

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i love the fencing/enclosure . . . it's giving me ideas . . . ways to have MORE chickens . . .
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by