Peafowl Train Question?

Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
I have a question that I would really like someone to answer for me. I have a white male who's train grows in so thick and bushy and all my other males trains anre flat. I was told in the original thread that the father of the two whites is a spalding. The seller said that she beleived them to be two hens but they ended up 1 male 1 female. They will be breeding this year and if I can find out if spalding trains are infact bushy then I know for sure he is a white black shoulder spalding. Here is the original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407227/two-albino-peahens-in-southeast-pa-new-pics/10

I will take pictures of the train now and some of my other male's trains to compare.

Here he is, third picture has the bronze in front of him. notice in the second set of pictures all the trains are flat and straight out no bushyness to them at all: (Please not he has a yellow tint from eating corn in his food)

Here are the tail from other males. Last picture he is in the middle but turned around to jump down and he got pooped on LOL!:

Last edited:
I'm not completely sure or confident that the bushiness is due to green genetics, however, out of all my males, my cameo bs (low % spalding) and my opal bs (also low % spalding) have the largest trains so far. All my other males have varying sizes of trains, with my bronze (who I am confident has no green genetics) being as bushy (but not as long) as the other two mentioned here.

here's the father. The seller stated in an IM to me that there were 3 eggs that hatched and 2 were white and 1 was blue. The father does have what appears to be a white feather on the wing and there are white feathers on the ground in the picture. So if he is the father then this white pea is a white spalding BS?

Hello Yoda,
this has nothing to do with spalding. When the train is growing the Indian blue (and all mutations) are having a slightly more bushy train then green peafowl.
I don't know anything about your peafowls and the pictures are too dark to see the details, but for me it looks like a train of a two year old male. Some of them are having already a very long one, but still not bushy.
Regards
Reinhold

Hello Yoda,
this has nothing to do with spalding. When the train is growing the Indian blue (and all mutations) are having a slightly more bushy train then green peafowl.
I don't know anything about your peafowls and the pictures are too dark to see the details, but for me it looks like a train of a two year old male. Some of them are having already a very long one, but still not bushy.
Regards
Reinhold
Reinhold - The white peacock on the left in the last picture in post #2, that is his first train this year he will be 3 years old. Last year he had a little one that was not bushy at all. The white peacock in post 1 will be 4 this year, his train last year was the same, the only bushy one in the pen. Here is pictures from end of June 2011, fourth picture is mid August 2011 and the last two are from 2012. He did not drop the train feathers at all from 2011-12, he had that train all winter and he finally dropped it this year after breeding season. Maybe bushy might be the wrong word I would say very thick train?

Last edited:
first - I really like the thick tails. second, I know nothing of peacock genetics, but the thick tails could be genetic without having anything to do with being spalding. Third- is white black shoulder spalding the same thing as a white spalding split to BS?

Third- is white black shoulder spalding the same thing as a white spalding split to BS?

Not trying to stray from the thread, but no Trefoil, white blackshoulder spalding is not the same as white spalding split to BS. The first bird would produce all blackshoulder offspring when bred to a blackshoulder hen of any colour, whereas 50% of the offspring from the second bird would be blackshoulder and the rest split(carrying only one copy) to blackshoulder

Back
Top Bottom