1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by tinychicken, Mar 11, 2007.

1. tinychicken

tinychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2007
    Hi all - I have a peafowl question. I recently moved to a home where a group of 7 peafowl are frequent visitors, probably because I feed them. Will they destroy a garden the same way chickens would? They don't seem to scratch like chickens. Will they peck at the veggies?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    My peafowl have not harmed my "garden" (on my deck when I move my houseplants out for the summer), but they absolutely love sitting on my pick-up truck. Very fancy hood or roof ornaments, but hell on paint jobs!

Finch in NY

3. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I don't know about veggies(because its been so dry in Wyoming I haven't planted a garden) but anything I plant or put on my porch gets the taste test. If they like it,it becomes no more. Mine will peck anything that is brightly colored. They love tomaotoes and leafy veggies. We decided we'd have to put a covering over our garden for protection. My peas wont fly over a tall wire fence unless it has some sort of landing on top or in the area. Maybe this would be worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by