Peafowl

Dalia dalia

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2017
I have 2 pair 3 year old of IB , 1 pair mated once she laid 2 eggs and then wanted nothing to do with the male , she would hide in her nest box , stick her head out the fence anything and everything to get away from him . He started pecking her neck and head when she stuck her head out the fence until she was bald ! , I switched out hens , thinking he would kill his mate . The other pair never mated . Why won't they mate ? Do I need to get more hens ? Thank you

Always provide hiding places for the hens. A pallet leaned against the wall is what most people use. When the cock becomes frustrated with either her or outside influences he will take it out on her. Do you have a sight barrier between the two pens? When the cocks want to fight and they can't get to each other he may attack the hen, I have seen this and had to install sight barriers.
IMG_0949.JPG

She wont sit until there is a clutch of them, put them all in one spot if they are not already and around 10 days from the first one laid she will sit on them unless she is only 2yrs old then she wont sit at all and you may as well eat them or incubate yourself.

I was wondering if i should feed my 2 peahens that don't want to lay eggs , laying pelets ? Would that h elp teach them thay HAVE to give me eggs ?

Back
Top Bottom