Peafowl

gzuccolotto

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 24, 2011
I have heard that Peacocks can have their "voice boxes" removed in order to quiet the birds. Is anyone aware of this and the procedure involved? Greg

You go first
sad.png

Sorry,
but if you have to worry about the sound they make then you may need to look for a bird that better fits your needs
hugs.gif
Pea's need their voice to comunicate with each other, except for the evil eye and wakling sidways it is all they have, so taking their voice would be a horrible thing to do IMO

My peas are not that noisy there calls are a treat because i seldom hear it.

Merry christmas
DSC00141welcome.png

Last edited:
Yes the info is correct. Strombergs has a peafowl book that touched on this.. Normaly done by a vet.. if you can find one that knows how. Trouble is that it just kinda takes the pea out of peafowl. That is the only way the can express themselfs for sounding alarms or anything else ,but it can be done. connerhills

I wouldn't really do that because it is like taking in a kid because they talk too much and having their voice box removed. That is just my opinion. Removing the voice box of peafowl is a touchy subject especially because just about everyone who owns peafowl is in love with the noise they make.

Peafowl only make the loud calls in the Spring and Summer and the rest of the year they are very quiet. Peafowl aren't even that noisy what happens is if you have more then just a few males like say 10 then it could get very noisy but with just one male it isn't really that bad unless you are standing right in front of him and he decides to scream "Ahhh ahhh ahhh".

I wouldnt want peas that dont have a voice. They scream about something coming near their territory that is strange, say, vehicles, new animals, or are alone without their flock, etc.... I have a group that free range and some in a pen. I have acreage to ourselves, set away from neighbors, so no worries from them.

Some think my parrots are too loud, & I dont think they are louder than them.
But my parrots are in the house..... but the parrots vocalize at sun rise and set.

And a larger bird comes with a larger voice.

My peas werent all that loud last breeding season, but i have more peas now so will see.

Wouldnt remove a voice box jsut to have a pea,
plus they are VERY VERY social and need to be part of a group!!!!
There is soo much too observe and learn from a group of free rangers.

can be done..........but like most said........i would never have it done....for reason stated above.

myself i like their sound, calls mostly during breeding season.

I strongly disagree with idea of de-voicing these peacocks and I do not likes people that do not likes the noises peacocks makes.

Through I do not keep peafowls, I loves peafowls and I am deaf, so I cannot hear peafowls making noises.

Peafowls have rights to make loud noises when commicatee with other peafowls.

Only option is people would "de-hearing" themselves, is use the cotton ear plugs or a pieces of clean cloth to plug the ears of people, so noises won't enter the ear drums.

Even if I don't currently own peafowls, I agree with the others, it would be a real shame to get them rid of their voice.
sad.png

Then again it's your choice, but it's all they got, like people said above...
hmm.png

Yes, you can have the voice boxes removed to make peacocks mute. You can also cut their wings and legs off to keep them home.

Back
Top Bottom