Peahen died

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peacockfarmer1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    today i went to the yard and saw my only peahen dead. she was just laying there nothing had killed her but yesterday she was just laying around all day. i thought something was wrong so i picked her up she has plenty of weight nothing seemed wrong she was only 2 years old what could this have been?

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I don't know what that could have been but I am terribly sorry [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your peahen. I have no idea what could have happened.

4. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    another thing is i separated her from the peacock because she was eating the feathers on his head.

5. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Sorry for your loss, I have been there. Fine one day and gone the next

6. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe egg bound if she was not thin/light when you picked her up???

7. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I really am so sorry about your peahen. I see someone mentioned egg bound. That's what crossed my mind. Do you worm your birds. I'll be a basket case when that happens to me....my peas are pets I feed from my hand and spend a lot of time with. Most I've raised from babies I've hatched so I know there personalities and have so many memories. I know eventually it will happen but doubt I'll be prepared.

8. roracrittercorner

roracrittercorner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    So very very sorry for your loss. I to had one of my peahens do the same thing. Health and happy one day, little tired the next, then pasted away. Nothing could get her where she was and she was wormed, well feed and cared for/loved so very much!! This is the fourth I have heard of this and in all cases death could be undetermined even after posts in some cases. Life is short for some so we just love all as best we can each and everyday. So sorry

9. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    On the UPA there is an article about the birds eating or stepping on random items that cause injury. I once had to pull a complete plastic shopping bag out of the mouth/throat of one of my hens.
    I dont know why she would think it would look like something to eat, but she tried to.

We have also had an 8 week old break their neck in some kind of unseen injury. One day healthy next day acting so wierd and within 10 hours dead. (we didnt know she had a broken neck or we wouldnt have let her suffer)

I am sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by