Peahen Eggs starting to hatch. please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babycampbell, Jul 12, 2011.

1. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    We have 5 eggs from my neighbors peahen, her peahen got sick and died while laying on her nest. they are starting to crack and work there way out after being placed in the incubator for about 5 days.

what should we do? leave them alone and do there thing or do we help?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Leave them to it. I wouldnt touch them unless I knew for sure they werent coming out.

3. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    ok only three are cracked and have holes in them and they are chirping trying to come out so I took them off the rotater and left the other two eggs rotating. we were not sure when to stop rotating them because of not being sure exactly when she laid them.

how long should we leave them if they don't come out any further.

thanks for the help

4. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    I had the same fun. A lady brought over some eggs that her peahens got off of - as 5 hatched. We had no idea if they were even viable anymore or how long till they would hatch, and they were so dark, I was unable to see anything. A week later, with me turning them and keeping the incubator about 40%, I went to candle - see if I could see internal pipping, and got chirped at. 3 hatched. My trouble is that I keep losing some of them. I don't ever see anything wrong, just find a dead peachick.

Can you candle them? The only thing I could tell on the 3 that hatched, was that they were totally dark within .. so they were fairly fully developed. The other few I could see into and they never developed to where I could see veining - I left them for a few more days, but they never started growing. It would give you some clue.

5. babycampbell

babycampbell New Egg

May 16, 2011
    when we tried to candle the egg was so tan (dark) we couldn't see anything. the 3 that are cracked and have holes are chirping and we stopped rotating them also we can see some black featherish stuff and there beaks.

how long did yo have to leave yours before they fully came out of the egg?? thanks for the help.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    It could take as long as24 hours for them to finish the game. Enjoy watching the miracle and dont fret so much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by