Peahen finally laying, now I am flipping out

Lovie

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
So I have done all this research in anticipation of my first peahen finally laying. Now she has laid her first egg. I know I will try and eggs over the next 10 days before starting the incubation progress. But I have read conflicting reports about whether to wash the eggs, it is a little dirty and whether to store it pointed end down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I have done all this research in anticipation of my first peahen finally laying. Now she has laid her first egg. I know I will try and eggs over the next 10 days before starting the incubation progress. But I have read conflicting reports about whether to wash the eggs, it is a little dirty and whether to store it pointed end down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your first egg!

Congrats on your first egg!
[/quote

Thank you!

You can hold the eggs for up to about ten days in an egg turner at about 60 to 65* and they will keep fine. If the eggs are not too dirty just set them, if they are filthy then you can wash them in a Tek-Trol solution. Make sure the water is very warm so the egg won't contract in cold water and pull in the bacteria.

You can hold the eggs for up to about ten days in an egg turner at about 60 to 65* and they will keep fine. If the eggs are not too dirty just set them, if they are filthy then you can wash them in a Tek-Trol solution. Make sure the water is very warm so the egg won't contract in cold water and pull in the bacteria.
Thanks for this info.
I am hoping to start my first adventure incubating peafowl eggs in mid May (If there are eggs to incubate that is). Only reasons I'm waiting are 10 no eggs yet and 2) incubator will be here by mid may.
My friend has a flock of peafowl with 2 adult males who each have their multiple females. I've come here to learn as much as possble about the differences and similarities of peafowl laying and incubation (I presently broody-hatch chicken chicks).
Is Tek-Trol a commercial product? If so where does one get it?
I wash my dirty (poopy) chicken eggs in warm water but this is the first time I've heard the explanation.

I'll keep reading everything on this forum area. If anyone has any tips of any kind for the novice peafowl hatcher, please do let me know!
Thanks

caf.gif

Thanks for this info.
I am hoping to start my first adventure incubating peafowl eggs in mid May (If there are eggs to incubate that is). Only reasons I'm waiting are 10 no eggs yet and 2) incubator will be here by mid may.
My friend has a flock of peafowl with 2 adult males who each have their multiple females. I've come here to learn as much as possble about the differences and similarities of peafowl laying and incubation (I presently broody-hatch chicken chicks).
Is Tek-Trol a commercial product? If so where does one get it?
I wash my dirty (poopy) chicken eggs in warm water but this is the first time I've heard the explanation.

I'll keep reading everything on this forum area. If anyone has any tips of any kind for the novice peafowl hatcher, please do let me know!
Thanks

caf.gif
One more question: I manually turn my chicken eggs and they are in a cabinet in my kitchen, I'd guess the temps run between 68 and 74. Is that ok for peafowl eggs? Or should I keep them in the incubator just set for the temperature mentioned above?

One more question: I manually turn my chicken eggs and they are in a cabinet in my kitchen, I'd guess the temps run between 68 and 74. Is that ok for peafowl eggs? Or should I keep them in the incubator just set for the temperature mentioned above?

Cooler is better if you have a basement or a cooler room I would store them there. Also if you have a broody chicken hen you will have better results if you let the hen set the eggs for a week or two before putting in the incubator.

I cant remember how long you are supposed to wait before picking up eggs so they harden up ?, I though I read an hour ? My poor pea hen is feeling very poorly and acting sick like and has now dropped an egg two days in a row, she seems to be doing better but still is shaky and unstable on her feet

Back
Top Bottom