Peahen has decided to live here

TooManyChix

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 24, 2014
A peahen showed up at my place. I am not aware of any near neighbors who keep peafowl, and I posted on a neighborhood social media page with no response. She has been here over a month. I don't want her to be lonely with just chickens here, so I purchased a male and female peachick to grow up and join her. I was told she is a cameo, so I purchased cameo peachicks.
I guess I need general info on care, etc.
(I only have access to a smartphone, so I may be missing obvious choices for computer users.)

Be aware of the noises they make! Their cry carries considerable distance, and during the breeding season, which lasts about four months, they will shriek constantly. The rest of the year they will be quieter, but they will still cry. And not just in the daytime.

Peafowl are good flyers. It is better to train them very young to go in the coop. Although they are safe in the tree at night, they will fly down at five am and that is when the fox will be waiting. Shutting them up at night will not only solve the problem of their 3 am cry, but will solve predator issues as well. Make the coop at least 10 ft by 10 ft with perches that they can flap up to and swoop down without hurting themselves. Use shavings or straw on the floor of the coop that can be easily changed on a regular basis.

Provide a dust bath-a dry covered area. If they free range, they will find their own spot, probably in a flower bed.

Peafowl drink a lot of water. small buckets or towers used for chickens will be fine.

In a natural environment, peafowl eat seeds, insects and vegetation, but even if you totally free range, they will still do better being fed once a day. If enclosed, they will need feeding twice a day-pellets in the morning and mixed corn at night. You don't want to leave any food lying around, as it will attract rats. They will also require mixed grit and oyster shell.

Peahens are excellent mothers. You should wait until the peahen is two years old, and the peacock is three years old before breeding. The hen generally lays about 5-9 eggs, but sometimes more. If she is free range, she will find her own spot, but will be more vulnerable to predators. An incubator can be used. Candle the eggs after 10 days and 20 days.

There may come a time when you need to catch your peafowl. If they are free range, this will be a problem. One way is to corner it in a shed or barn and grab it by the legs (never feathers) Hold the legs firmly with one hand and support the body with the other. Another way is to use a very large fishing net and drop it over the bird's head and breast before grabbing it by the legs. Remember that whatever method you use, peafowl have very sharp beaks and will not take kindly to being manhandled.

These birds are not considered friendly, so if you are envisioning pets, these are not going to be.

I hope this helps. I don't have peafowl myself, but got this from a book called The Illustrated Guide to Ducks and Geese And Other Domestic Fowl by Celia Lewis. These are pretty much the basics. Hopefully more people with peafowl will chime in. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom