Peahen injury?

nyfarmchick

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
I have a 5 year old white peahen that I noticed today has blood on her feathers under her tail, above her vent to the right. Her vent looks fine. She is acting fine and I don’t see any noticeable injury to her skin. No one is laying eggs right now. Could this be an injury from breeding? Both my cocks are 2020 birds, so they haven’t bred before. This is the second breeding season I’ve had her and last year there were no issues, but I had a different male with her. Should I separate her?

I have a 5 year old white peahen that I noticed today has blood on her feathers under her tail, above her vent to the right. Her vent looks fine. She is acting fine and I don’t see any noticeable injury to her skin. No one is laying eggs right now. Could this be an injury from breeding? Both my cocks are 2020 birds, so they haven’t bred before. This is the second breeding season I’ve had her and last year there were no issues, but I had a different male with her. Should I separate her?
I would not separate her unless you see the others pecking at her. Could it be a broken blood feather in her tail?

I would not separate her unless you see the others pecking at her. Could it be a broken blood feather in her tail?
Okay. Thanks. No one is pecking at her. How would I be able to tell? Would she have a feather that is broken off somewhere? I didn’t see any skin injury.

Good answer. This is the time of year that the blood feathers are still soft and easily broken. I carry a pair of needle nose plyers for that reason, if you find a bloody stub on your bird you need to pull it out so the bleeding will stop.

Good answer. This is the time of year that the blood feathers are still soft and easily broken. I carry a pair of needle nose plyers for that reason, if you find a bloody stub on your bird you need to pull it out so the bleeding will stop.
Thanks. This is not something I had heard of.

Back
Top Bottom