Peahen laying blood streaked eggs

msmolly

Songster
May 31, 2013
Gates Mills, OH
Its only Jan 25, and snowing outside, so I know they are not fertile, I am concerned though that my Peahen has layed two eggs about 5 days apart- both have shells streaked with a small but noticeable amount of blood. Should I be concerned? I lost one of my peahens a couple winters ago about February/March when she had layed a winter egg, then found her dead in her nest about a week later,...Egg bound? I keep the lights on a timer in the hen house for the chickens, so was thinking I should turn them back some hours. Any suggestions for my hen?

Sounds like that extended daylight, (coop light) has messed up her timing. I will see some streaking in the early part of the laying season, I just watch for signs of distress. Did you crack open the egg and check to see if it really wasn't fertile?

Thanks- yeah , im not worried about the egg laying so much- ad the blood streaking. I usually dont see that on her eggs- but feel better knowing you see it on yours early season. She seems otherwise fine- bummed to be more confined than usual cuz of weather. I took the eggs away from her - dont have an incubator and not really interested in a nest at this time of year in Ohio. I would be very surprised if Blue managed to mate with her in the crowded conditions and cold of the chicken coop- and out in the snowy pen would be even more impressive!

Its only Jan 25, and snowing outside, so I know they are not fertile, I am concerned though that my Peahen has layed two eggs about 5 days apart- both have shells streaked with a small but noticeable amount of blood. Should I be concerned? I lost one of my peahens a couple winters ago about February/March when she had layed a winter egg, then found her dead in her nest about a week later,...Egg bound? I keep the lights on a timer in the hen house for the chickens, so was thinking I should turn them back some hours. Any suggestions for my hen?
Does she have access to as much water as she could want? Sometimes when the birds are drinking enough there is blood on the eggs or the shell is deformed in someway. Get rid of the light or at least make it so it's on when the sun is up.

Does she have access to as much water as she could want? Sometimes when the birds are drinking enough there is blood on the eggs or the shell is deformed in someway. Get rid of the light or at least make it so it's on when the sun is up.
Its only Jan 25, and snowing outside, so I know they are not fertile, I am concerned though that my Peahen has layed two eggs about 5 days apart- both have shells streaked with a small but noticeable amount of blood. Should I be concerned?   I lost one of my peahens a couple winters ago about February/March when  she had layed a winter egg, then found her dead in her nest about a week later,...Egg bound?  I keep the lights on a timer in the hen house for the chickens,  so was thinking I should turn them back some hours.  Any suggestions for my hen?

Blood streaked eggs are normal early in the season and should stop as soon as they are laying regular. Egg binding can be a concern this early with cold temps which is what I suspect happened to your previous hen. Keep an eye on all your hens this time of year and keep us posted.

ps: as for being fertile, you would be surprised. Some say if the rooster doesnt have a train or is not displaying then he's not trading with the hen but, I totally disagree.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom