Peahen not eating, dehrydrated and getting serious!

FlightsofFancy

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Canton, GA
*Sorry for the cross post...but need help!

Yearling Peahen that was fine last week. Started to molt and couldn't fly. (she free ranges on our farm) then we had a really bad storm. Now she won't eat and is seriously dehydrated. She is tame enough to eat out of our hands, but will fly off. Right now I can walk up and pick her up with no protest. This tells me things are getting serious!
I can give SQ fluids but I am not sure how much and where to give. What else can I do? I have tried all kinds of food and she will eat nothing. What about B Complex?
Help!!!!

I feel your pain, do you have her in a dark place to process the storm? How long since you know she has eaten?
Could she have been bitten by a snake? best not to shake her up tho......... good luck and jealous of the rain it's dry as a bone here

I also have a bird that has stopped moving, eating and drinking and no one has really been able to give any guidance. It's so discouraging not to be able to help her.

I think maybe people see the post but if they don't know the answer, they don't reply.

Just seeing this. So sorry she is ailing
sad.png
. Hopefully you've called bird/wildlife rehab places today (or avian vets) and gotten some advice? Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research comes to mind (google and their website will come right up) but there are many others.
JJ

It is not that no one cares, it is likely that the people who have read it are not comfortable posting about this species. You are stressed, but being crabby at people does not help you get more help. Many things are going to be similar- if this is just a case of scared, wet and battered bird- keeping her in a warm, dark and quiet place is important. Less handling is better for a semi-wild bird. If she is actually injured- you will need to find out where by inspecting her methodically- but do it in a dark and quiet area with a focal light source. If she is not drinking- you can give her SQ fluids 100-150ml per 5lb. You actually have a sterile set up with saline or similar? SQ can go anywhere you can lift the skin away from the meat underneath. Inguinal web- between the leg and the body is usually easiest. I worry that there is something else wrong with her besides wet, battered and scared- as storms happen often, and wild peafowl around here weather it ok up. Peafowl can get blackhead, and it makes them ill quickly. They also can get GI parasites, injured by wildlife ect. If this bird is meaningful to you and your budget allows- I would bring her to a vet that will see birds. She needs fluids, gavage feeding, a good physical exam and likely medication of some sort to address her underlying problem- as she likely has one if she didn't bounce back from the storm.

Quote:

She just died in my arms. Yes I am crabby! I expected someone to at least respond and give moral support. I really don't mean to take it out on anyone here. I have always had the best help. Just not this time. I was shocked that not one person responded. Heartbroken and disappointed! I am allowed.
hit.gif

No vets in the area would see her. I couldn't get one wild life rescue to call me back. Bad timing? Bad luck?

Back
Top Bottom