Peahen not laying consistently.

mariacampos

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2022
Hi, my momma peahen hatched 3 girls last year. So now I have 4 peahen and a peacock . I notice that momma I'm assuming started laying April 1st 2022 and it's now the 9th and she only played 5 eggs . Will she go broody since there's 3 other peahen ?
Thank you so much .

Peahens normally lay every other day, some every third day, and will continue until they feel they have a clutch of five to eight eggs, sometimes more. If you are removing the eggs they will continue to lay all season by laying a clutch and then taking a break before doing it again. Depending on her age she could lay 20 to 40 eggs, the upper number of eggs can deplete her calcium so I do not advise letting them go so long. We stop picking up our eggs in July and let those hens that want to go broody brood their eggs and raise the chicks in the pen or let them out to free-range.

Having other hens in the pen will not stop her from going broody.

Thank you so much
Peahens normally lay every other day, some every third day, and will continue until they feel they have a clutch of five to eight eggs, sometimes more. If you are removing the eggs they will continue to lay all season by laying a clutch and then taking a break before doing it again. Depending on her age she could lay 20 to 40 eggs, the upper number of eggs can deplete her calcium so I do not advise letting them go so long. We stop picking up our eggs in July and let those hens that want to go broody brood their eggs and raise the chicks in the pen or let them out to free-range.

Having other hens in the pen will not stop her from going broody.

Back
Top Bottom