Peahen Not Laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by LoveMyBirds374, May 7, 2011.

1. LoveMyBirds374

LoveMyBirds374 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    I had my peacock and peahen for less than a year. The former owners said the peahen had laid a few eggs 2 years ago. I adopted them this past Fall. I built a large enclosure, approximately 10' x 10' x 25', and placed them inside.

For the past several weeks, Azul, my peacock, has been displaying his feathers and making his mating call. I've actually seen them mate three times. But, there are no eggs.

Any idea what's going on?[​IMG]

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    If the hen laid two years ago and not last year then the hen may be a little too old and done laying on any consistent basis. She may be a great hen for him, but just not a breeding one. Good luck.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was thinking the same thing...You might want to get a peahen that is two or three years old, they will give you eggs.[​IMG]

4. LoveMyBirds374

May 7, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Well, I know for sure she laid eggs 2 years ago. As for last year, she was loose, so she could have laid some somewhere. Who knows?

So, given both reply posts, peahens only lay eggs in their first few years? Is there anyway to tell how old a hen is?

Thanks so much for your help, guys! I really appreciate it.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I said get a younger peahen 2-3 because you will have plenty of years with her laying before she doesn't lay anymore...I am not sure how old exactly it is when they stop laying.

6. LoveMyBirds374

May 7, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Okay, thanks again!

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Not sure where you are located , not all northern peahens have started to lay yet, give her only a good layer feed 20%. Wait a few weeks my guess she should lay soon.

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Mine has not layed yet either.

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:There are hens here in Texas that haven't laid yet.

10. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:I'm in Northern MN. My turkeys have been laying for about 3 weeks, my chickens for about 2 months. My peacock just started his mating calls and I haven't seen them mate yet, but I am gone most days from 7am till 5pm so they may be mating now and I'm missing it. I have not gotten any eggs yet and this is from a 3 year old peacock with a 3 year old hen. Be patient.

Last edited: May 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by