Peahen or peacock?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by PlatinumBlue, May 13, 2019.

1. Boy

71.4%
  2. Girl

28.6%
  1. PlatinumBlue

PlatinumBlue In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    Can you tell if my pea is a peahen or a peacock? The first 2 pics are at 4 months old, 3rd pic is at 6 months, and 4th pic is at 3 weeks old. The last pic is at 11 months old. I am guessing he/she is a pied, but I don't know for certain. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I know nothing about peacocks but beautiful pictures! Where is that? It almost looks like Alaska. Lol

casportpony likes this.
  3. Dany12

Dany12 Songster

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Female ...
    That brown !

InkedIMG_1667_LI.jpg

4. Dany12

Dany12 Songster

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Female ...
    Feathers edged with gray / brown.(red arrow).
    ... but male those blue feathers!(blue arrow).

InkedIMG_2600_LI.jpg

5. PlatinumBlue

May 13, 2019
    It actually was in Alaska. The mountain pic was in Paxson, AK and the 2 pics in the woods was near Hope, AK. The pic by the water was at Sandlake in Oregon though.

Thanks for your illustrations on the pics. I did also notice that the face skin is starting to turn a purplish-blue color. It used to be solid white. I don't know if that helps to tell a male from a female though. Here are some pics at almost 3 months old when she looked a little different than in the other pics too.

Attached Files:

The Phantom likes this.
  6. The last pic with the green neck and the light scallops does look hen but the other pics with the blue neck and barring looks cock. I guess a little more time is needed.

AB03Sam and The Phantom like this.
  7. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Wow. Very cool. My family and I go up to Alaska a lot for fishing and hunting.

casportpony likes this.
  8. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I’m leaning towards a cock, but I’d still give it a little more time. Either way it sure is beautiful though!

casportpony and AB03Sam like this.
  9. PlatinumBlue

May 13, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know at what age you can usually tell if it's a boy or a girl with more certainty? Or it just depends on the individual bird?

10. PlatinumBlue

May 13, 2019
    Thanks! I really hope that it turns out to be a peahen though. I do have 1 other peacock. He is a black shoulder and all his colors are coming in so he is easier to tell that he's a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: