Peahen or peacock?

lorad

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Edelstein, IL
These are two peachicks my hens hatched for me May 20th. They are starting to change feather colors and I'm wondering if they can be sexed yet. Both birds seem to have similiar patterns, so I'm assuming both are the same sex. I'm starting to see green feathers in the neck and the top of their heads is very dark-black almost. Pea #1 has 1 or 2 white flight feathers, pea #2 has no white at all. Pea #2 seems calmer (I can get it to roost on my hand/wrist). Any suggestions on color (presumed India Blue...)?
50754_peafowl-ak_2010.jpg

Left-Pea#2 Right Pea#1
50754_peafowl-ak_2010_2.jpg

50754_peafowl_ak1_2.jpg

Peachick #2
50754_peafowl-ak1.jpg

Peachick #2

Thank you for any help!
Lora

2 indian blue males. barring on back at this age is always male in all mutation colors, also on IB's the males have those drak burnt orange flight feathers, you can tell by that almost as soon as they dry off from the hatch. The one with white flights is split to white as well

Well, I managed to locate 2 peahens on Craigslist, and was given 1 hen and 1 peacock (no train yet) by an acquaintance. So I went from 0 peafowl to 12 (hatched another 6 peachicks) in a matter of months. I don't expect this much population growth next year! It should be interesting to watch them grow. Hopefully they all won't be males (the peachicks). The rest of the peachicks are Black Shoulder (I assuming-they started out white with peach wings). You will probably be seeing pictures of them in the coming months! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
yep all black shoulders hatch white with tan coloring on their primary wing feathers, doesnt take them long to start getting some color to them though, but will be a while before they look like they are supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom