Peahen shaking her rear at my chickens. Why?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by slurrywidow, Feb 8, 2011.

1. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Hi,

I have a issue with a peahen that won't leave my chickens alone! About a month ago I adopted some young hens and have them set up in an enclosed coop/run. For years there has been a peahen that just wanders around the surrounding properties between myself and all the neighbors (30+ acres). I know at least one neighbor feeds her and she roosts in the trees between our properties.

However about a week ago she has become quite obsessed with my chickens. She comes to the edge of the run and just watches my girls for hours! A points during this she raises all of her back feathers (like a peacock would do) and then backs up toward the run, shaking her rear like Beyonce! [​IMG] Drives my chickens up the wall. They pace the run and seem really agitated. I've gone out there and gently shoo-ed her off but the minute I come inside, she's back.

Why? What is she doing? Is there something I can do to get her to move on down the road? Is this going to eventually stress my chickens to the point they don't lay? Am I being silly even worrying about it? [​IMG]

I appreciate any ideas.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

She is trying to intimidate them, and it sounds like she is doing a great job! [​IMG]

Peahens will also do that for male attention.... just like the boys.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Peahen do display just like a peacock, she is just showing off, no harm to the chicken. Peafowl with find other birds to hang around ,if no other peafowl around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by