1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Peahen turkey cross... Peakey?!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AudieWarren, Jun 19, 2018.

1. AudieWarren

AudieWarren Chirping

May 17, 2018
    Free ranging in Ga
    A few weeks back, a random peahen found our farm. No idea where she came from, but we are happy to have her. Anywho... She was quite smitten with my turkey. His name is Tom. Tom being a lonely man stepped out on his misses while she is sitting on her nest. Shame on Tom. Lol well now miss peahen has a nest of her own. What is funny is my turkey hen and the peahen fight over Tom. It's a funny farm soap opera. Now for the real question. Will the hybrid offspring be viable? Here is a picture of our new addition IMG_20180605_075240_244.jpg

2. Most likely not but stranger things have happened.

Cyprus, WVduckchick and AudieWarren like this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes they could be viable. But offspring will likely be sterile and not long living. Maybe 2-3 years.

Cyprus, WVduckchick and AudieWarren like this.
  4. williamsingr12

williamsingr12 In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    Mac City
    Mother nature finds a way ! Years ago the DNR for 4 years in a row in the P.M. in MI, released a Hybrid Kings salmon that grew to over 6 feet a couple over 7 feet and they said they were sterile and couldnt reproduce but mother nature found a way although those that did mate were dwarfed in size but the throw back gene of the monsters is still there now isnt it ! Yes I caught plenty but being a Hybrid they never qualified as a state records they dont record hybrids

Cyprus, BreanneRN and AudieWarren like this.
  5. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I have not found any credible evidence of turkeys and peafowl being able to reproduce. It is very likely that the eggs are not fertile unless she had been previously been bred by a peacock.

casportpony and Cyprus like this.
  6. Dany12

Dany12 Songster

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Can we see a picture? ... even a tiny !

casportpony and Cyprus like this.
  7. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Some evidence from You-tube that some find incredible... I'll let you decide... Like in the X-files, some of us want to believe...

8. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Peacock-Turkey-Hybrid-24673.jpg

9. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    @beercan, hey you know that is totally photo-shopped! Check out Chickpea, a Peacock/hen hybrid...

Cyprus, townchicks and Feather Hearts like this.
  10. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Songster

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Watching! I'd love to see if viable eggs could come from this! Can you candle peafowl eggs?
    IS she/he a Peacock crossed with a chicken?

Cyprus and BreanneRN like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by