Peahen turning into a peacock at 4+ years old! ?

TJChickens

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 3, 2014
East of San Diego
One of my IB peahens started to look a little different in the face a couple months ago. I grabbed her to take a closer look. I thought maybe she had bugs on her. They were little dark blue feathers coming in. Now, as all the males are molting their tail feathers, "she" is growing one! She is also getting blue feathers in her green neck. Her more solid grey feathers are coming in with stripes now. This bird is at least 4 years old. I do not know her background, I did not breed her here. She could have colors in her background that I don't know about. She has always acted like a girl, even sat on a nest. She used to be identical to my other IB girls. I don't know if the eggs were hers. She still hangs closely with her main guy. I've had peafowl for 30 years and never have seen one do this. Anybody know anything about this?
Now I really have too many males! Wish some of the boys would turn into girls! :hmm
023.JPG
025.JPG
027.JPG
028.JPG

One of my IB peahens started to look a little different in the face a couple months ago. I grabbed her to take a closer look. I thought maybe she had bugs on her. They were little dark blue feathers coming in. Now, as all the males are molting their tail feathers, "she" is growing one! She is also getting blue feathers in her green neck. Her more solid grey feathers are coming in with stripes now. This bird is at least 4 years old. I do not know her background, I did not breed her here. She could have colors in her background that I don't know about. She has always acted like a girl, even sat on a nest. She used to be identical to my other IB girls. I don't know if the eggs were hers. She still hangs closely with her main guy. I've had peafowl for 30 years and never have seen one do this. Anybody know anything about this?
Now I really have too many males! Wish some of the boys would turn into girls! :hmm
View attachment 1126512 View attachment 1126513 View attachment 1126514 View attachment 1126515
My understanding is that in chickens, there is one main functioning ovary of the two ovaries. If the functioning ovary becomes damaged/fails, the second ovary can produce testosterone causing the development of male feathers and other male traits.

My understanding is that in chickens, there is one main functioning ovary of the two ovaries. If the functioning ovary becomes damaged/fails, the second ovary can produce testosterone causing the development of male feathers and other male traits.
Oh, interesting. Like maybe a woman taking testosterone might get facial hair and a deeper voice...
Perhaps this hen is pretty old and has passed her reproductive years. It will be interesting then, to see just how far these male traits will go.
I wonder what the purpose of that is. Or probably no purpose at all, just a malfunction.
Thanks for your answer. :D

You are so darn smart! We need to get you an educator badge!

View attachment 1126512 View attachment 1126513 View attachment 1126514 View attachment 1126515
Hey, TJ. Long time

@R2elk , this subject came up in another thread and I was wondering if you could point me to a link that talks about this?

Back
Top Bottom