1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peahen with injured wing - lots of blood

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by CarlisleCluck, Mar 1, 2015.

1. CarlisleCluck

CarlisleCluck Out Of The Brooder

Found my (almost) 2 year old peahen dripping blood from her wing this morning. I don't know if she got caught on something in the coop or got in a fight in the coop. I am not familiar with the parts of the wing, but the outside is fine. When you separate and spread the wing, there is a lot of blood in the feather layers. It was really cold (again) last night (below zero), so the puddle of blood in the layers was actually frozen, and there is a small amount of drops of frozen blood on her body, and some on her wing feathers. I can not find the injury, but I was very cautious about checking out her wing for two reasons: I wanted to avoid hurting her and I wanted to avoid injury to myself. She was pretty docile, though. She did fly up to her high roost, so I am hoping there is nothing broken, although at first her wing seemed to be hanging a bit low. Assuming that there is nothing broken, I am wondering how I should treat her, if at all. I was going to try to put some antibiotic ointment on the injury, but I didn't find anything, as I mentioned. Should I put some antibiotics in her water as a preventative? If so, what type and what dosage? I do have a few medicines I purchased to have on hand when I got the peafowl.
    I should note that for some reason, my 2 peafowl chose to spend the night in the chicken coop last night, not their own coop, so the injury happened there. I know it is not a predator issue as everyone else is fine. I have checked the coop and I don't see anything she could have caught herself on, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
    Thanks for your help!

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like she lost a blood feather, that is a growing feather, when they come out they can bleed some. It usually looks worse than it is.

1 person likes this.
  3. CarlisleCluck

That sounds "good". I will try to take another look tomorrow. It is warmer overnight tonight and tomorrow, so hopefully the blood has "thawed" and maybe it will be cleaner so I can take a better look. I won't dose with antibiotics unless I actually see an injury. Thanks!

4. KsKingBee

If you look around the pen you might even find the feather.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Check her toes also mine rip a nail off every once in a while and they will have blood any place they touch with that broken nail and there will be pools of blood also [​IMG] I don't treat this as it stops bleeding on it's own and forms a protective coat or scab, takes a few months for it to grow back.

6. KsKingBee

I found a yearling Cameo cock all bloody today. Looked like he partially ripped a scale off of his knuckle on the inner side of his ankle. We cleaned it up with Vetracin, applied Wound Kote, wrapped it with vet-wrap gave him a peanut and put him back in general pop. By the time I fed this evening the vet-wrap was nowhere to be found, but he was not bleeding anymore.

1 person likes this.
  7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Never had one rip a scale does it bleed like toe nail?

8. CarlisleCluck

Just an update. My hen seems pretty good. I haven't been able to get a hold of her because every time I go out to the coop she is high up on a roost. However, her wing is not hanging low, it is even with the other. Whatever the source of the blood seems to have scabbed over - or at least there is no more dripping blood.
    I looked but did not find an obvious feather from her on the coop. I will continue to monitor and let you know if anything changes. I very much appreciate the responses. Thanks!

9. KsKingBee

And I haven't ever had to deal with a missing toenail, but there was a LOT of blood loss with the ripped scale. He was holding the foot up to his chest and the chest was all bloody and the blood ran down the other leg as well as all over the upper leg the wound was on. So two bloody legs, chest all bloody and lots of blood walked around the coop. It didn't affect his appetite though, and he was bright and alert. This is the only Cameo male I hatched out last year and has never been as friendly as most of the chicks. After he was caught he settled down quickly and seemed to know that we were helping him.

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Hope no one ate the vet wrap. I caught some young-uns trying to do that in 2013, when I was taping legs with it. Guess they thought they were having lasagna for dinner. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by