peahen with the eye problem- now cant walk.. drags herself

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by wannabchick, May 21, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Hi all.. so my white peahen is looking so much better.. so the tylan is working.. but ..............

she cant walk.. its like she isnt moving when I come near her.. so I touched her.. and she dragged.. like her leggs dont work..
    what is going on now???????????????????????????? I swear I quit, between the chickens and the peas now.. I am loosing my mind

help.. what is this???
    ayayyyaa

2. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    welll the first thigns that come to mind are...
    1 she got injured when you tried to mess with her eye
    2 she is egg bound
    3 she needs to be dewormed.... did she feel thin ?

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Possibly Mareks as it causes paralysis

So sorry ya are having so many problems hang in there we all may go threw it sometime or another when dealing with critters.
    [​IMG]
    The pros will be here soon to help ya [​IMG]

4. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Quote:WOW, lets not assume the worst and make poor Carol panick anymore than she already is!

Carol. give her a dose of worming medication. She is either heavy with worms (not likely but possible) or heavy with eggs. Probably by morning she will lay an egg and start acting normal again.

When I was a newbie, my spalding cameo hen acted like that. She just laid around and wouldnt walk. I panicked, Brought her in the house, put her in a dog crate for the night. By morning she had laid an egg and wanted OUT! She was fine after passing that first egg.

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Had the same thing happen when I first got a peahen and kept her penned with chickens, she got was what I presumed to be Blackhead, but I treated her with a variety of meds., inlcuding Metronidazole, which is what I believed did the trick, and force-fed her baby bird formula until she got better and I have since separated them from my chickens. She's healthy again and running around with 5 babies right now so don't give up!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I would do both worm her and treat for blackhead, around chicken maybe blackhead.

7. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    thanks everyone.. heres the thing.. she was dewormed.. two weeks ago.. and also the cocidia meds... and then the gymicillan and the tylan now.. poor thing.. maybe over drugged.. can that happen too..???

maybe because she was laying eggs, before and stopped.. at number 4.. she has more and is eggbound.. I keep putting the water right next to her and food..

poor thing.. she is laying in the corner where she usually lays eggs.. so hoping she just drops eggs and that is what it is..

what med now incase its blackhead????

thanks everyone
    xoxoxo

8. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Quote:OHHHH she is broody!!
    ahahaha no wonder! Funny how things make sense once we get all the details [​IMG]

No more meds, please... just let her be... awww the poor thing.

9. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    oh you mean.. the fact.. she drags.. if i go near her.. instead of running aways.. etc/ she might be broody acting.. I never even thought of that.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmn... lets hope its that.. whoothey

whooohey...
    xoxo

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    is she setting on eggs, move her off the nest and see if she can still move.........i don't think she is broody, most would peck u if broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by