1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peahens cluck-like sound cough and stretch neck with gasp

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by grazcor, Feb 24, 2013.

1. grazcor

grazcor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    Athens, TN
    What are the symptoms of gapeworm? Is treatment Ivomec? What dosage if buying from a farm co-op? TY

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you check her mouth and neck for an obstruction?

3. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    The symptoms you described look like respiratory illness. sneezing, frequent cluck sound, shaking head and esp. gasping for air. I have successfully and completely cured my peafowl with Baytril also called Enrofloxyn 10% solution, is available on line without a prescription. I treated mine with 1cc oral feeding with a syringe after diluting with 1 cc of water to avoid any CAUSTIC EFFECTS OF THE DRUG, for 7 days successively.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Baytril info for those that might be interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. grazcor

Feb 24, 2013
    Athens, TN
    Had incident with baby peafowl with string wrapped around back of tongue and able to safely remove. Maybe need to investigate this further, I just thought it was odd that only the peahens are exhibiting these symptoms, and they are in different pens.

6. grazcor

Feb 24, 2013
    Athens, TN
    Where do you purchase Baytril?
    TY

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Where do you live?

8. grazcor

Feb 24, 2013
    Athens, TN
    I live in Tennessee.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's not normal peahen behavior? Do they "gasp" with every breath?

10. grazcor

Feb 24, 2013
    Athens, TN
    They do not gasp with every breath but appears like they've swallowed something and it won't move down the throat. My husband thought its just something maybe the hens do as we are new to peafowl, but they do sneeze and shake head at times. Its a husky cough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by