Peahens & Peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chump, Mar 31, 2011.

1. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Is there anyone who can post pics of peahen eggs and peachicks? Considering buying a pair next year and while looking for info everywhere i could i realized there wereno pics of eggs or peachicks. After looking online im interested in a purple pair. Could anyone help me out with some good pics please? Pics of any breed would be great.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I have some egg pictures from last year...No new egg pictures for this year yet because my peahens are not laying yet...

Last year's eggs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the blackshoulder peahen that laid those eggs setting on her second clutch. I didn't get any peachicks so I don't have pictures of chicks. We tried incubating some and letting her set some but the ones we incubated were all bad and the ones she set might not have really been good plus she wasn't really sure what to do.

[​IMG]

3. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Those are really great pics. Everything ive been reading is saying its hard to incubate peafowl eggs and hard to keep peachicks alive. Ive seen egg pics on another thread but didnt see any peachicks. Will probably buy a pair started and go from there so we dont waste any more money than we have to. Going to be a lot of fun breeding them though i bet. Are they anything like chickens and ducks? Me and my husband have a tiny patch of woods we are going to fence off this summer for peafowl specifically. Hope they like it.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Oh No,
    MinxFox,
    Do those pea eggs really look like chicken eggs in person like they do in them photos.

5. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    They are the same color but they are bigger than chicken eggs.

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    [​IMG]

Both my peahens lay eggs with spots...I guess it depends on the bird? These were just rescued from my flooded out backyard.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Ooh maybe one of mine will have eggs with spots! That is way cool I wonder if the wild ones lay spotted eggs because I would think in the wild they would need to be more camo than just a solid white or light tan...

8. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    How much bigger are the eggs than chicken eggs?

9. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
  10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    MinxFox,
    Thanks for the link.

Got kinda worried there for a minute cause some of my freerange nest may have chicken,duck,guinea and even a goose egg, things get pretty communal around here.
    Last year i had a duck and 3 guinea fowl sitting on a communal nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by