Pealing fresh duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 19, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    So I have to bring deviled eggs for Christmas Am wondering any tips as to how to successfully get fresh eggs (this weeks) to peal without looking like a disaster? I have heard about submersing them in ice cold water immediately after boiling, putting vinegar in the water, and a few other ideas and have had little luck. How does everyone get their eggs to peal without looking like something took bites out of them repeatedly?

Husband insists the cold water thing works for him - maybe he can make the deviled eggs? Maybe he's just never had to peal more than one at a time! [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I am only had luck peeling while still warm... and still, I had to bang them on the counter to really get the shell to break! Duck eggs are never easy. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like the Husband making the deviled eggs idea. Sometimes I get a nice smooth peeled egg - by chance - so usually I go with egg salad.

[​IMG]

Might you try rolling the egg and crushing the shell into tiny bits and see if it will go better?

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I boil the water first and add salt. After minutes of boiling, I lower the eggs in the water. When eggs are finished boilng, set in cool water for a couple of minutes and then peel . Perfect peel every time.

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    A friend of mine read me an article she found on the internet that said duck eggs were the easiest fresh eggs to peel because of the think membrane. I told her the person writing it must not have ever peeled a fresh duck egg! Haven't tried warm. Will try Amiga's suggestion as well. Thanks.

The duck egg thing may not go over well in the first place, but I am using them anyway. Better if they do not look awful too.

Boil 25 and take the best 20 maybe~

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    There are several threads on here about chicken eggs. I have never boiled duck eggs but do have a method that works for me with chicken eggs. The rate of getting a perfect egg is >90%. This method also eliminates the greenish discoloration of the yellows.

Bring the water to a boil, lower the eggs gently with a spoon into the water. Resume boil. Cover and set time (15 mins max for chicken eggs; less if they are small eggs). I usually leave them on the burner and turn it off or you can turn it to the lowest setting during this time.
    As soon as the time is up, dump the water and start running cold water over the eggs. I do this at the sink and when eggs are cool enough to handle I stop up the sink, cover eggs with cold water and add some ice. Then crack the eggs as soon as possible. Peel starting at the large end.

I boil eggs of various ages, including fresh from the nest this way with equal success. I used to add some salt to the water but experimented enough to find it works just as well without the salt. It is best to peel them right away but I have put them in the refrig with the shell on but the sucess rate is not as high.

Hope this works for you. I would like to know if it works on duck eggs. It is soooo frustrating to end up with egg salad when you wanted deviled eggs.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I tell you what since I found the steamer at goodwill that is the most awesomwe way to make boil eggs, well its actually steaming them but the shell just falls off.

8. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:x2 if the egg cools completely down that is where you have trouble.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2 if the egg cools completely down that is where you have trouble.

x2

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Silly question - doesn't putting the egg into boiling water cause it to split and ooze?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by