Peanut Bran - Ok for my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deanawo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I have the chance to get some peanut bran super cheap - like $3.50 a bag cheap. It is rice bran and peanut pieces mixed together. It is being sold as deer feed here. Peanut bits/pieces/leavings mixed with rice bran. Sure beats the $16 a bag I am paying for layer feed if it is ok.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Rice bran is excellent feed, but it sours almost instantly. The commercial rice bran animal feed contains a lot of preservatives. If that doesn't bother you, then it is good nutritious feed. Peanuts contain good protein.

It's going to be a supplement, not a complete feed. But if you use about 10% of this for their diet, that would work and save you a little bit of money.

The only thing I would worry about would be the quality of the peanuts. Peanuts are expensive and getting higher all the time. There is a reason that those are being sold as animal feed. I'd want to verify that they are safe to feed. Nobody is going to complain if they make a wild deer sick.

3. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    It isn't "feed" as in commercial feed. It was all grown locally and has had nothing added to it. I may try some as scratch, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by