1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peanut butter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by miss jay's mama, Nov 9, 2008.

1. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Is it Ok to feed chickens peanut butter? If so how....give them gobs of it or put it on bread??? Anyone ever give their birds pb? How did they like it??

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Mine have eaten P&J sandwiches.

3. Ivagrovegirl

Ivagrovegirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    when I have leftover peanut butter in the bottom of a jar or something I just scrap it out and mix into their cracked corn.
    They seem to enjoy it.
    Emily:D

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    As mentioned on another thread, I melt it down with lard/bacon grease and put all the left over stuff (anything and everything mentioned on the treat chart) and spread it in a pan. Freeze to solidfy then I cut it into large pieces and give as treats every now and then. Yes, they can eat it but I'm not sure how much is too much.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    As a special treat about once every week or two I spread some smooth peanut butter between the butt end pieces of bread and place them together just like a sandwich, and place it in the suet cage in there run. It hangs off the post just high enough to make them reach a little, keeps them busy for 45 minutes or more [​IMG]

wendy

7. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    As a special treat about once every week or two I spread some smooth peanut butter between the butt end pieces of bread and place them together just like a sandwich, and place it in the suet cage in there run

I love that idea!! Thank you!! I was trying to think of stuff to have my kids more involved! I was also thinking to string air-popped popcorn on really strong fishing line![​IMG]

8. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Good something else to spoil them with.[​IMG] I didn't see peanuts or peanut butter on the treat chart so, I just wanted to make sure it was safe. I've given it to wild birds before but wasn't sure about chickens. I would think it is a good source of protein. I love the sandwich /suit cake feeder idea.

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    don't want to hi - jack this thread but yeah, the suet works great! i put leftover pancakes in there, biscuits :) i have even made "oatmeal cakes" lol!

wendy

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My goose's favorite snack is pancakes, when he can scare my hens away from them that is. Whenever we have leftover bits of pancakes, waffles, toast, etc. (with 3 kids we have lots of leftovers) we toss them out into the bird yard, so the birds can run around snagging pieces... it's all fun and games until the goose starts hissing and snapping at the hens.... Oh, my goose doesn't like peanut butter, but the chickens do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by