"Peanut" chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by serena763, Jun 27, 2010.

1. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    So what kind of chicks are the 13 extra "peanut" chickies?? They are very sweet and happy so far and we have become very attached! (hubby is working on plans for a bigger coop as we speak lol..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    mine turned out to be white leghorns, basic white egg layers. if you got 13 packing peanuts some of them will probably be roos. i started thinking all of mine were, but leghorn hens have huge red combs as well so now i'm thinking maybe they aren't all roos after all. but anyway that would be my guess of single-shade yellow fluffy butts with orange legs and single combs. it also might depend on who you ordered from. mine came from mcmurray.

3. serena763

Jun 11, 2010
    I hope they are not roosters! We cannot have them around here...[​IMG] . I bought them from purelypoultry.com. I think so far I possibly have 2 austrolops, 2 orpingtons, and 2 rhode island reds...

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Packing peanuts are usually boys.

Farmers - or people like me - will often take packing peanuts off your hands if you don't mind that they will end up at freezer camp in 20 weeks or so. You might check around your area if you can't keep roosters where you live.

The light ones in the picture might be white rocks? You'll be able to tell better when they get a little older, and their leg color is more definitive. They look too light for buff orps to me.

5. serena763

Jun 11, 2010
    Oh nos! I hope they are not roo's or we will have a lot of chicken dinners soon! [​IMG] Or a big bbq!

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:I'm sorry, but the packing peanuts are always "extra males". The paint on their heads is used to indicate that they are roosters. If I were you, I'd give them away before I became more attached. [​IMG]

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The one little black and white tuxedo looking chick could be an Ancona or Exchequer Leghorn

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I order my chicks through Murray McMurray hatchery and on the box lid they tell you what is included including when they use peanuts. The last batch I ordered my packing peanuts were all female [​IMG] Look for a packing list to tell you what you got.

9. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    YOu might want to call the hatchery and ask if the extra they packed extras are boys.

We thought our extras were boys. We bought from Mt Heathy. HOwever, the extras were all girls for the last order.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Not all the hatcheries mark the packing list with what the packing peanuts are. When my friend ordered from Ideal, she had to call and get someone to tell her what was probably packed based on shipping date. That answer was incorrect also. So sometimes they just don't really keep track.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by