Peanut (D uccle) bantam.. help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucysmom002, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Peanut has been standing with her wings hanging for a few days. Today I noticed poo all over her bottom. I brought her in for a bath and lubed her a bit. She seemed to be egg boung or something. She walks funny and isn't very vocal like normal. After I got her cleaned up I left her in a towel in a box in the bathtub where it's dark. Now she can't walk!

WTH is going on? She is sitting on her butt with her legs in front of her and seems like she's in pain like a pinched nerve???

2. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If you set her down the way she should stand, she puts her head forward and kicks her legs around and opens her wings all the way. She ate, pooped and all that.
    Her poop felt really gritty like it was almost a smashed egg. I have no idea..

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I had an egg bound hen that displayed some of the same behavior that you are describing. There are some good tips on "egg bound" hens that you may want to search on this site. Isolation is the best thing for her right now, warm and safe as you can monitor her progress or decline more easily. Good luck. I hope she recovers.

4. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Her bottom is red and swollen. She is pooping. I don't know what else to do for her. I'll look it up more. thanks

5. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have her laying in a box covered so she stays quiet. She is just laying there and starts flipping around and scratching her legs on the box if she sees light. She sits on her butt kind of and kicks her legs out forward. Also she opens her wings up to balance and tries to use her head to balance.
    Ughgh any ideas?

I'm going to have my husband put her down if something doesn't change quickly here..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by