Peanut foliage OK to feed to poultry/waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Denninmi, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have a whole bunch of peanut plants I tried growing in my greenhouse in pots (like 50 5 gallon pots full). They aren't forming many peanuts and are now starting to get a bad infestation of spider mites, and I'm sick of watering them. I know they like heat, but it's just too hot even for peanuts this year in there, even with doors and ventilation going. I want to just get rid of the whole mess.

Would they be OK to feed to the birds? I'm sure they're high in protein. The reason I grow them in pots is because I never was able to grow them outside, EVERYTHING eats them, woodchucks, deer, rabbits.

Just want to verify that they're not toxic to birds before I feed them. Once again, I'm talking about the PLANTS (leaves, stems), not the actual peanuts.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I would think so. I grew some in my garden last year, and the birds went in and ate up some of the remains after I pulled the plants.

Besides, they eat things like clover and alfalfa, which are in the same family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by