Peanut Shavings...anyone?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kleeo12, Nov 9, 2010.

1. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    I posted this earlier but I didnt get any posts LOL so here I go again LOL...Does anyone know if you canuse peanut shell shavings as baby chick litter?? I have a friend that hauls it to horse farms and he said I could have some if I wanted it for my chicks

2. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    ::::crickets chirping:::: Tough crowd LOL, ghiish

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    All I know for sure is cedar is a big no no. I use use pine. Maybe someone else may know. BUMP! [​IMG]

4. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    Thank you for your response...I was starting to wonder if my post was showing up for everyone to see LOL

5. Twiztedrods

Twiztedrods Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Considering they can eat peanuts I can't see how it would hurt them. I use pine because that is what I could get, but if I had an option for a free bedding I would use it. My main concern would be moisture retention or dispertion. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't know about using it as bedding for chicks, but my hens will eat any peanut shells left on the ground from the squirrels. So I guess I'm saying I don't think they are toxic, but I wouldn't want chicks eating a lot of it. If you do use it watch closely for chicks eating it, and just in case provide grit for them.

Imp

7. Malibumom

Malibumom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Malibu Calif.
    If the shells get wet they will go moldy and that's not good for the chickens health. I would pass on them![​IMG]

8. jerrys59

jerrys59 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Deatsville,Al
    I know in the early 70's my uncle raised chickens commercialy and they used peanut hulls for bedding in the houses.

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Man, go to Texas Roadhouse. You'd have bedding for years!

10. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    MmmmMM Roadhouse sounds good LOL Thank you all for your input, I think im going to give it a try and just monitor the chicks with it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by