1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

peanutbutter??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajun Rabbit, Nov 17, 2011.

1. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Ok, I am sure yall are the same way I am getting to be.... anytime something kitchen scrap is to be thrown out, I ask "who can eat that?" before it goes to compost bucket.

So tonight when my daughter asked if we have any use for the peanut butter tub... well you know the drill.

Can chickens eat creamy peanut butter? It just the little bit that we can't get out with a knife or spoon. was going to cut can in half and let them have at it....

Any ideas? thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. WvChIcK-n-CrAzY

WvChIcK-n-CrAzY New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Dont know the answer to your question...but I am interested to hear the responses. I have fed mine several things but never PB

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I throw everything out to the chickens ,and what I have learned is if they don't like it ,or if it will hurt them they leave it alone This is only IMO [​IMG]

4. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Mine love peanutbutter and its nice and fattening too. lol I cook mine down until it melts and then add popped milo, BOSS and other goodies. I make a "cake" out of it and they eat on it for a couple of days.

1 person likes this.
  5. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I will throw a soon full of PB in their warm oatmeal in the mornings for added protein. Yes they can have it, its funny to watch them eat a PB&J sandwich

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I fed my girls crunchy PB and they loved picking out the peanuts.[​IMG]

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you can eat it, a chicken can eat it

8. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    next time I will have to try and 'make something out of it' My girls just looked at it funny.... but when I put some on my finger they about put my entire finger tip in her mouth on first taste [​IMG]

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I mix mine in with bird seed or BOSS, add a bit of melted fat and make cakes out of it. they LOVE it.

10. DAngeloFarms

DAngeloFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    West Virginia
    Howdy,

I've started adding it to some scratch when I'm training them to come when called. They love it and it adds some nutritional value to the scratch (protein and fat). Its also fun to watch them eat it. :) The one thing that chickens can't have that we eat is potatoes so just be careful there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by