Peanuts and freezing weather diet changes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RachG75, Dec 11, 2016.

1. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I've read that peanuts are a good choice to add to feed when the weather gets cold. I have one that half-heartedly eats a few first thing in the morning before i get out the crumble, and the other wont. Any tricks to get them both to eat them and also, are there any other diet changes you make when the Temps are below freezing?

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I add more whole corn. It helps add fat and keeps them warmer for the winter

3. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I have two Pekin ducks and have been adding a half cup of cracked corn in with their crumble layer feed and at bedtime I give them about a fourth to half cup of frozen whole corn mixed with frozen peas and fresh kale or other greens. Should I do more Corn? They seem to be eating about a cup to 1.5 cups each of crumble a day. I always think they seem too skinny, but they always have feed available. I know they must be sad there isn't anything left to forage. Temps are 20's and low 30's. So, more Corn? Anybody else use peanuts?

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I use sunflower seeds. They eat em like pigs[​IMG]

5. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Just the black oil ones you put in wild bird feeders? About how much per bird do you put out?

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yep from Walmart. Bird seed section lol
    I just take a handful for each bird. I give em every week or so
    Then I throw it on the ground or feed from my hand

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  7. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I've never heard of using peanuts. I'll have to look into that. I wouldn't worry about weight gain either. I like my duckies to be a little "rounder" in the winter. I've tried mixing black oil sunflower seeds in with their food but they always picked around them. When ever my ducks pick around something I try to look it up and somewhere I saw something about seeds can impact crops. I have to research that more to be certain. I used to mix flax seeds in to the feed too and they sort of picked around that as well. I've stopped all seeds until I know for sure, but I'm sort of a worry wart. Corn is always a favorite for mine. I feed whole dried corn.

8. RachG75

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I read that in Duck Eggs Daily by Lisa Steele. Helpful little book, blog and website. She says peanuts are healthier for the extra energy than corn. Only one of them will eat the peanuts and sunflower seeds; the other always takes them, but then spits them out. lol.

9. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!

As far as them not eating as much......Could be a lot of things. I have 2 ideas.....My ducks tend to go through cycles. For a handful of days they eat like crazy and then for a handful of days they just don't eat as much. It used to worry me when I first started noticing it but now it just seems pretty normal to me and nothing to worry about. However, since you think they may be losing weight, it also is possible that they could have some kind of worm, or coccidiosis. Have you ever weighed them? You can use a regular kitchen scale. Grams are the most accurate. If you can weigh them every day for a while you can know for sure if they are losing or gaining. From what my vet told me.....On a really emaciated duck, the keel (the bone that runs vertically down the front of the chest) will have a"sharp" edge and be concave on both sides of it. If the center edge of the keel can not really be felt and it is rounded on both sides the duck is over weight. A healthy weight ducks keel will not be sharp or rounded. You should be able to feel the edge and the sides should have some fat on them but not be rounded or concave. There are varying degrees of course.

You probably have nothing to worry about. Are they acting normal? Not lethargic? Poop look normal?

I use Corid for coccidiosis and safeguard goat wormer when needed. Some people recommend treating for worms 2-3 times per year. I have only wormed the whole flock once in two years and treated for coccidiosis 2ce. However, I do have a fecal test done about 2-3 times a yr, usually spring, fall and mid summer. My regular dog and cat vet does it for me for around $15. That way I feel I'm not giving them something that they don't necessarily need if the fecal gets the all clear. Others may disagree with me and may feel it is safer to be on a wormer routine. Do what ever works for you.

I don't give garlic as I've seen some people for it and some people against it. I don't know what the right answer to that one is.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by