peanuts for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spish, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:No. But use caution with bantams. I have bantams and large fowl that do peck at the peanuts and eat them. But I have heard stories on BYC about birds choking on peanut butter globs and dry biscuits. So theoretically they can choke.

My tiny bantams peck at the peanuts and break them, as well as my LF.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Songster

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:OMGOSH I am SO doing that! LOL

Is there an age that shouldnt have that? Could I make one for my 7 week old chicks? Just go light on the pb?? We have loads of pine cones lol

3. Animalian

Animalian Songster

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I made one for mine when they were 7 weeks. So they should be fine! Just don't go giving them one every day or to excess fat will mess with their bellys a bit = sloppy poo = not nice to clean up lol

One a week should be fine [​IMG]

4. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Songster

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Thanks! I was actually thinking I could mix some applesauce into the peanut butter too. We get the all natural applesauce.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Do you remember where you read this, do you have a link?

The reason I ask is because most of the Peanut Meal based poultry feed I have seen has up to (sometimes more or less than) 30% Peanut Meal.

Chris

6. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Songster

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Just wanted to say thanks for the peanut butter pine cone idea! My chicks cleaned the one I gave them last night. I mixed pb with some applesauce and then rolled it in their feed. Going to make some for the big birds today lol

7. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Songster

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i use in shell peanuts in my scratch mix, the girls go crazy opening them to get the nut out [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh I have never tried to give them peanuts in shell! I will have to try this one day.

9. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Songster

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    Quote:Oh I have never tried to give them peanuts in shell! I will have to try this one day.

its the only way to go imo. i did show them what was inside for the first few times i gave them some but after that they learned real fast [​IMG] its like watching kids open gifts on christmas morning [​IMG]

10. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Songster

I've cracked shelled peanuts in half, they seem to like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: