peanuts for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spish, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh I have never tried to give them peanuts in shell! I will have to try this one day.

its the only way to go imo. i did show them what was inside for the first few times i gave them some but after that they learned real fast [​IMG] its like watching kids open gifts on christmas morning [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gjensen

gjensen Crowing

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Quote:Do you remember where you read this, do you have a link?

The reason I ask is because most of the Peanut Meal based poultry feed I have seen has up to (sometimes more or less than) 30% Peanut Meal.

Chris

I will try to find it Chris. I was (and still am) looking to learn more about mixing my own feed. What I was reading was it's use (a study) in egg laying and broiler flocks. The results (supposedly) was that there was notable improvements with it in the feed up to 5%, but the control flocks began to out perform there after.

3. chefchick

chefchick Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:this will be great this winter! thank you for the idea!

4. gjensen

gjensen Crowing

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Quote:Do you remember where you read this, do you have a link?

The reason I ask is because most of the Peanut Meal based poultry feed I have seen has up to (sometimes more or less than) 30% Peanut Meal.

Chris

I will try to find it Chris. I was (and still am) looking to learn more about mixing my own feed. What I was reading was it's use (a study) in egg laying and broiler flocks. The results (supposedly) was that there was notable improvements with it in the feed up to 5%, but the control flocks began to out perform there after.

I did not find the same study that I reffered to originally. I did find others. It seams that the general findings is that peanuts are an inferior protein source to the meat meals and soy. This is apparently even after the amino acids that it lacks is supplemented. It appears that for some peanuts is a cheaper source and is preffered for that reason. Also, some have concerns with soybeans. They appear to be able to benefit the birds up to a certain point, when the soy begins to win out. These studies are concerning production. I generally think in those terms. I forget that most don't.
    I also know that nutrition is a debatable subject because all of the variables. For me, I will limit the amount of peanuts my birds get. I prefer soy, and some meat meals. I keep up with lay rate, growth etc., so I give them the best shot I know how to. Otherwise, I don't know their potential.I do give my birds peanuts though. I share plant peanuts with a friend.

5. brit57

brit57 In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Michigan City
    I feed my chickens peanuts, sunflower seeds and raisins they love em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: