1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    [​IMG] How big around do pearches have to be. can chickens pearch too young is this bad?

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    I have some that like to roost on tree branches about 2" diam.. int the coop. but my big girls especially my heavy breeds like to roost on ply board perches I have set for them. my bantams also roost in tree branches in the coop

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks I have silkies and 1 rhode island red roo what would you do for them?

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I found some big bamboo down at the coast & use it for my runs for both my chickens & my [​IMG]quail. I use the flat side of 2x4's also. Here's some iddy's starting to experience their roost.[​IMG]

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I think it depends on the breed as in Small like Seabrights or Silkies vs. heavy bodied like Rhode Island Reds or Orphingtons. Most will say that a 2" x 4" on the flat is great , especially for bigger girls and especially in colder climates. A wider roost gives them area to squat down over their feet to keep them warm. Round, natural branches are widely used as well. Some folks here are afraid they can harbor mites due to their rough texture. I use a 1'' x 3" on the flat with a 2" x 4" on edge under it for strength, however I am spanning 12'. My girls have no problem and seem to like the width. So, thats my 2cts worth on roosts or perches. Good luck with what ya decide to use.
    erik

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks everyone right now I have been useing an wooden broom handle [​IMG]

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I tried from 1 1/2 inch up to 3 inch. The one I stayed with is the 2 1/2 to 3 inch. They took to those best and from what I can tell only one hen uses a smaller one. Of course the rooster with his big feet in on the biggest one. Not that anything is wrong with it but I just don't like the idea of flat roost. That is not something that is natural in the wild so I don't use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by