Pearl barley, millet, rye, rice, hard wheat berries, cracked wheat...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kristenm1975, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Are all of these good for scratch, and if so, what sort of ratio should I be using, or does it really matter?? I know cracked corn is supposed to be a large component of scratch but only one pet store near me sells it and I keep forgetting to go there. Suppose its a big deal if I'm just giving them this stuff I find at whole foods in their bulk food section?

Thanks!

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    All that is fine for scratch; cracked corn doesn't have to be the major component of scratch. People used lots of corn because it was cheap and/or they grew their own.

3. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    I've experimented with various grains in a mix and have found that my chickens left the barley until there was nothing else. I have read that it is hard for them to digest. I'm currently using wheat, cracked corn and black oil sunflower. The wheat and corn are pretty cheap at the local mill and I use the black oil just because I feel it is good for them. The ratio is 1/2 cracked corn, 1/4 wheat, 1/4 sunflower. They don't waste any of it.

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Mine loved oats and wheat berries, you can also sprout them for them to eat and they go nuts over them.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine have access 24/7 to their food and water. I give them treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I make sure they have plenty of grit and oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by