Pearl & Daisy

Pics

bluemerle

Songster
Aug 11, 2018
Northern Nevada
I thought it'd be nice to document the growing up of my very first two goslings: Daisy & Pearl. They're two feed store goslings that I picked up on May 31st, 2019 after a long spring trying (and failing!) to find incubated (and human imprinted) geese locally. And boy, there's no question about the imprinting part. :lau They cry incessantly if they can't see anyone in the room with them.

But they're a joy, and it's been such a stark difference between raising them vs. raising the ducks. These guys are curious, and funny, and so interactive. They come running when I call them, and they talk back when I talk to them, and they don't even take issue with me picking them up when I have to clean out their brooder.

So: here they are! Take note that they're supposedly Toulouse. But on the day I picked them up, the feed store lady informed me that they had come in a box with a bunch of different breeds, and she was having trouble telling the Toulouse and the Africans apart. I have suspicions that Daisy - the littlest one, but the one with the longest neck - is .... probably an African. But we'll just have to see! In the end, I enjoy them so much that it makes very little difference to me.

Their first day home, still in their travel cage (an old rabbit cage):

And at three days! It's hard to take pictures of them that aren't blurry and/or covered in poop!

It’s hard to tell if African or Toulouse. I guess time will tell. These are the four Toulouse goslings I picked this am. 631E720F-156B-486C-846B-DA3E9B2EF51D.jpeg

It’s hard to tell if African or Toulouse. I guess time will tell. These are the four Toulouse goslings I picked this am. View attachment 1802415

:love They're adorable!

You know, on further inspection of my two - and comparing to gosling pictures on the internet - it seems like Toulouse goslings are very stout and even their yellow is pretty dark. My one gosling - who I suspect is African - is much taller, leaner, and her yellow is more fluorescent. My other is very short, doesn't have a long neck, and is much darker.

Which is all to say: yours look like Toulouse to my novice eyes! :) Enjoy them & keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom