Pearl Guinea babies, anyone?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Irishgirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    I have 13 fertile Pearl guinea eggs. I was going to keep 3-4 for myself, is anybody interested in the rest? They'll hatch around the 20th of March.

2. Irishgirl

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    Just candled the guineas, they all look good!

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Congrats on 100% fertility rate [​IMG]
    Hope they all hatch for you. Post pics when they do!

4. Irishgirl

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    Thank you! Would you like any?

5. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Me??? LOL, no, Thanks tho. I have 93 adult Guineas already... plus 4 more Chocolate keets I've already held back so far from my first 3 hatches, lol.

6. Irishgirl

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    WOW! That is a lot... I live in a neighborhood where if your pets are too loud and someone complains, they have to go. So I'm trying to find them a good home. Do you know anyone who would want them?

7. GeorgeW

GeorgeW New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    I am open to giving Guinea chicks a try ... I would need some coaching how to proceed but would give it a good effort . I have a few acres in Maryland but no previous experience with this

8. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    i am in search of guineas for my new up and coming coop with my new baby chicks!!! Heard they are great at keeping snakes away good protectors of the flock ?

9. Irishgirl

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    Here's what I know about guineas (besides nothing much) : Guineas eat fire ants, a huge plus where I live. They will eat any bug that crosses their path(like squash vine borers, another ENORMOUS plus where I live), and they will also kill and sometimes eat mice, rats, and snakes.
    If you relocate them after about 2 weeks of age, they will try to go right back to where they used to live, which means you have to confine them for about 3 weeks until they won't try to go home.
    They are amazing guards, and will scream if they see anything unusual. Females go "buckwheat, buckwheat," If they see something, males will make a loud call to warn you. One downside though is during breeding season the males tend to get a bit mean, but that is over fairly quickly.

If you are interested, I suggest you read the guinea section of Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry, a book you should be able to find at your library. I love this book, and will certainly get a copy as soon as I can.

I'm asking $3.00 per keet, straight run, with shipping paid for by the owner. The hatch date is March 20th, and I would like to ship them 1 day old if possible. If not, the lady across the street from me will take them, she has a farm a few miles away where she can keep them.

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Just chiming in with a few corrections...

Guineas may eat fire ants, some do some don't. Same goes for killing and eating mice, rats, snakes and any odd ball insects. Depends on the particular flock, and their situation. They are known for being great at insect and pest control tho.

Yes they are good barnyard watch dogs, both the males and females can/will sound the alarm call, not just the males (a few extra alert males usually start up their alarm call first here, then the rest chime in).

2 wks old is too soon for keets to be anywhere they can relocate to. I don't put my keets outside (in a coop and covered pen) until they are at least 6 wks old, which is when they are fully feathered and able to regulate their own body temp. And I don't let mine start free ranging until they are at least 12 wks old and have had at least 6 wks to acclimate to their coop/pen. Guineas typically need at least 6wks confinement to imprint on/be re-programmed to know where their home/shelter/safety is... and this applies to all Guineas 6 wks old and older. If you have other poultry that the Guineas can bond with and learn to stick around with then you may get by with less time needed for imprinting/re-programming. IMO it's better to be safe than sorry and keep them in at least the 6 wks before you let them start free ranging tho. If you let hem free range too soon they have no idea where home is or who you are etc and that's when they wander off looking for their previous home and flock.

Breeding season is Spring thru Fall, and hormones rage the entire time... so the aggression (if there is any) isn't over fairly quickly, IME.

And by the way...
    We're supposed to use the Buy~Sell~Trade section for advertising any poultry, eggs etc for sale.
    (The mods may end up editing your post).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by